GFA concept and services
Digital technologies play a strong role in our services and our ambitions to always deliver excellence for our clients. We are already leading in embedding a number of digital technology solutions in our work, as we are continuously improving and innovating and strengthening our expertise in Digital for Development (D4D).
Fully endorsing the digital principles, we believe that digital technologies are an important platform and medium for advancing international development. We are convinced that the digital human interface holds the keys to a variety of sustainable development challenges. Our vision is to empower people through technology.
Our D4D expertise is matching demands for change in international development with digital technology solutions. We speak the language of beneficiaries, partners, donors and digital technology solution providers at the same time. We link key stakeholders and help developing the best digital solutions for local needs, balancing high-tech solutions with low-tech realities in our implementation countries. Financial, technical and organisational sustainability beyond a project context is very important to us.
OPPORTUNITIES WITH GFA
We are looking for technical partners to complement our services and to jointly develop and test innovations. We offer access to international development projects where proven digital technologies are scaled-up and new solutions can be piloted.
We are currently working in four clusters:
- Digital monitoring and evidence-based decision making – collecting, transforming and analyzing data for better decisions, mainly using activity, transaction and survey data, as well as satellite, drone borne imagery and GIS
- Learning solutions – e-learning, m-learning and distance learning
- Mobile for development – e-extension, e-participation and m-health
- ICT sector support and innovations – support to governments in fostering innovation clusters, tech startups and advancing infrastructure and regulation
We typically cooperate with digital technology solution providers in four different ways in our projects:
- Consortium for experienced companies with co-venturing
- Sub-contracting usually for providers of specific digital technology solutions
- Expert missions – short or long term, input-based with specific time and task planning
- Research or test missions for innovative approaches and new technologies
For Software implementation, the Unit works closely with our affiliated company GFA B.I.S. Since 2002, GFA B.I.S. offers specialized ICT solutions for international development cooperation and Not-for-profit organizations with a focus on financial management systems and digital services.
The core competency of GFA B.I.S. lies in careful selection of the appropriate software modules and their integration according to the project requirements. In the area of financial management software, GFA B.I.S. partners with Infor and SAP, two of the leading vendors of international ERP systems.
For digital services, GFA B.I.S. uses leading open source based software. These software packages are well suited for International Development Cooperation as they are reliable and come without license costs. Based on a worldwide user community, local IT staff can manage the further development of the software and thus support the sustainability of their use.