The Digital Transformation Centre (DTC) Kenya was set up to improve the country’s preconditions for a digital transition towards a sustainable digital economy. Hereby the DTC capitalises on the existing innovation ecosystem, seeking to strengthen it, while also looking at the wider societal impact of digital technologies. This part of the GIZ project seeks to improve the structural capacities of intermediaries of the digital and innovation ecosystem to strengthen digital and entrepreneurial skills of SMEs and start-ups. Intermediaries are hereby defined as technology and innovation hubs, entrepreneurship and SME support organizations (ESO), support institutions of universities, research and technology organisations, as well as start-up and SME associations. The project foresees a twofold approach:
a) Digital skills development, access to finance and start-up promotion:
- Intermediaries of the digital and innovation ecosystem are important actors when it comes to bringing digital know-how into start-up communities, strengthening access to investors and start-up promotion. They understand the underlying businesses of their communities and – through their wide client base – have broad experience in what works particularly well (and what doesn’t) for different kinds of SMEs and start-ups. Hence, the first approach of the project targets intermediaries that are providing support services to SMEs and start-ups in Kenya.
- For the implementation of the approach, the DTC has entered into a strategic partnership with the Association of Start-up and SME Enablers Kenya (ASSEK) which brings together and represent the interests of over 40 ESOs supporting the development and growth of start-ups and SMEs in the country.
b) Kenyan Digital Innovation Hub to help SMEs digitize:
- The second approach of the project seeks to improve the digital transformation of local SMEs’ by supporting the establishment of a Kenyan Digital Innovation Hub3 as part of the African-European Innovation Bridge (AEDIB). Digital Innovation Hubs (DIHs) are one-stop shops for small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) and mid-caps within a specific sector that wish to become more competitive with regard to their business and production processes as well as products and services using digital and innovative technologies. Given the nature of the Kenyan business land-scape the Kenya DIH shall also cover micro enterprises, hence MSME.
- With the African-European Digital Innovation Bridge (AEDIB), EU Member States and the European Commission plan to establish a Pan-African Network of Digital Innovation Hubs (DIHs). This network is aimed at encouraging joint ventures between Africa and Europe and provide technical, digital and innovation expertise and experimentation for small and mid-size enterprises. The Kenyan DIH shall therefore also serve as a vehicle to connect the Kenyan manufacturing industry to the African and European DIH network.
- Set up reference group
- Facilitate drafting of a concept for a Kenyan DIH
- Facilitate the development and draft of a business model and plan for the Kenyan DIH
- Design and implementation of capacity measures for the operating consortium of the Kenyan DIH
- Build partnerships between the Kenyan DIH und other regional and European DIHs
- Foster allyship for the Kenyan DIH from political side and support the development of a public funding
- Provide backstopping in the initial phase of the Kenyan DIH for the service offerings and other needs as requested
- Organization of the launch event
- Reporting to team lead with regards to the milestones responsible for
- Education/training: University degree or a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of 3 years in the field of business administration, social studies, IT, Engineering or other “STEM” studies
- Languages: English C2, and Swahili C2
- General professional experience: 10 years of professional experience in the field of provision of business development, innovation and services to MSMEs, of which two years in an advisor role
- Specific professional experience: 8 years of professional experience in
- development and/or management of an Innovation Hub / Science and Technology Parks / Business and Innovation Centres,
- the development of business models and plans,
- the design and implementation of capacity building measures,
- the ability to moderate and facilitate development processes
Dagmar Roehr firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA