Long-term advisor for industrial wastewater management in Lusaka (National or Regional Expert) print
Based on the experiences of Reform of the Water Sector I (RWS) and other predecessor modules and the challenges identified in the new field of skills development and vocational training, Reform of the Water Sector II focuses on improving the conditions for transparent planning and implementation processes for ensuring water and sanitation services, with a thematic focus on the rural settlement areas and growth centers of the Luapula Province in Northern Zambia. The programme Reform of the Water Sector II is funded by BMZ and implemented by GIZ. In Janu-ary 2020, GIZ contracted GFA Consulting Group to implement three output areas:
- (2) Water supply and sanitation in selected rural areas of Luapula Province
- (3) Training for water sector professionals
- (4) Skills improvement/ continuous training of water professionals
In the follow-up of the achievements of the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka (CFS-Lusaka) programme, the BMZ has provided additional funds to continue and build on the CFS-Lusaka outcomes and continue to be a complimentary technical assistance to the Lusaka Sanitation Programme which includes substantive investments by the German Government through KfW. Besides continuation on improving climate resilience for sanitation services, it has also been provided for support on the adequate management of industrial trade-effluents. With the extension of the programme, the additional project activities were clustered into two additional output areas:
- (6) Development of local area plans in Lusaka and implementation of selected measures
- (7) Regulatory mechanisms for sanitation and industrial wastewater nationally including carbon emissions reporting.
Under the guidance of the Team Leader, the Industrial Wastewater expert will run the following tasks :
- Support key stakeholders involved in strengthening the monitoring and enforcement of IWWM regimes for the city of Lusaka
- Support the strengthening of regulations for industrial effluent in accordance with the NWASCO’s urban regulatory frameworks (e.g. review and support implementation of NWASCO new tariff model, focusing on setting tariffs by LWSC)
- Support LWSC, NWASCO, ZEMA, LCC, WARMA and industries in carrying out their re-spective mandates or roles in activities relating to IWWM.
- Review and support improvement of the LWSC Industrial Wastewater Assessment Manual and ensure that it covers the following aspects: revised formula for calculating the charg-es/penalties; new key parameters to be monitored in trade effluent
- Support the assessment of training needs and capacity development for selected partners in1 the following areas: operations and maintenance of sewerage infrastructure, sampling and testing of industrial effluent and tariffing charges etc.
- Assist in specification and procurement of equipment and services for IWWM
- Participate in relevant local and regional meetings pertaining to IWWM and the coordination mechanism - Support in results monitoring and reporting in accordance with deadlines
Interested candidates must cover the following requirements:
- Education/training : University qualification (MSc level) engineering, environmental engineering, sustainable and cleaner production, wastewater treatment or equivalent.
- Language : Fluent language skills in English and Bemba or Nyanja
- General professional experience : 10 years of professional experience in the water sector
- Specific professional experience : 5 years of professional experience in cleaner production and pollution abatement in industrial sectors specifically in wastewater management and wastewater treatment technologies and sludge disposal
- Leadership/management experience : 6 years of management/leadership experience in project coordination
- Regional experience : Zambia, experience in other African countries and/or in East/Central Africa would be an advantage
- Development Cooperation (DC) experience : 6 years of experience in DC projects and/or with humanitarian agencies (NGO)
Interested candidates must send their CV within the Europ Aid format per email before the 1st, October 2020 to :
Mr. Le Navenec
GFA Consulting Group
Clement Le Navenec Le-Navenec@gfa-group.de
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA