Based on the ASAL Strategic Programming Framework and relevant County Development Plans, the proposed “Drought Resilience Programme in Northern Kenya (DRPNK)” under Kenyan‐German Development Cooperation shall strengthen drought resilience and adaptation to climate change in particularly vulnerable arid areas of Northern Kenya.
GFA has vast experience in implementing drought resilience projects in the Horn of Africa. For this particular assignment, GFA has prepared the Feasibility Study for KfW in 2015. In addition, we are currently carrying out several components of the German Technical Cooperation’s (GIZ) sister program on drought resilience (DRP II) in the same target counties.
The role of the Expert for livestock management is to contribute to the work of the CPCUs in the planning and implementation of all measures related to livestock management. The Expert will be based in Marsabit and/or Turkana as required. As he/she will be responsible for both intervention areas, regular travel is required.
Major Tasks of the expert will be to:
- Train and assist county technicians and local communities in maintaining the quality of livestock development in relation to rangeland management;
- Prepare livestock development plans on community level together with the local communities and the county level ministries;
- Support the local population in the selection of suited infrastructure measures for intervention;
- Support the elaboration of tender documents for measures to be implemented and evaluate bids;
- Train and assist county experts and local communities in agro-economic management;
- Taking part in supervision of works, acceptance of works;
- Establish baselines and follow-up of project indicators.
- B.Sc. in agriculture and livestock production science, range land management or similar fields; postgraduate qualification in range land management, dryland resource management, livestock science or a related field would be a strong asset;
- At least 7 years of practical work experience in the field of livestock breeding, live-stock management, rangeland management, livestock marketing, etc. preferably in dry lands;
- Good knowledge in assessing the economic feasibility of investments in the field of livestock management; practical work experience with estimating investment costs and recurrent costs;
- Experience with international organisations, public sector institutions and/or funding agencies;
- Work experience in Northern Kenya would be an asset;
- Proficiency in the English language.
Regine Reuter firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA