The objective of this KfW-financed project in the Karamoja sub-region is that “settled and migrating livestock keepers have improved production base and drought resilience”.
The project is to support remedying the core problem through investments in
- water storage infrastructure (earth dam, valley tanks),
- improvement of services for livestock producers,
- proper operation and maintenance (O&M) of infrastructure and sustainable watershed / water resources management.
To reach the project’s objective and fulfil the social safeguard standards (participation, FPIC), technically the project has two main fields of action (apart from general project management tasks):
a) Infrastructure and other investment activities (“engineering”) and
b) participatory processes (“soft measures and safeguards”).
Essential tasks of the consultant team:
- Initiation and implementation of a participatory process, presumably via contractors (e.g. NGOs), and supervision of their activities; this participatory process is anticipated to be of a long-term nature.
- Detailed design of water storage infrastructure, elaboration of related tender documents for contractors
- Support to contracting of an independent social compliance auditor to audit safeguard activities
- Set-up of overall and annual work plans
- Financial and procurement management (financial plans, procurement plan, operations manual etc)
- Elaboration of an appropriate O&M concept for the water storage infrastructure (funding and implementation)
- Elaboration of Terms of Reference for ESIA/ESMP consultant, and supervision of related activities
- Supervision of contractor works
- Contracting of NGOs and other service providers for the implementation of soft measures and safeguards, and oversight/monitoring of their activities
- Guaranteeing the application and fulfilment of relevant KfW Guidelines; correspondent advice to MWE
- Contract management, project public relations, regular M&E, reporting, backstopping and other general issues.
- Graduate university degree in a discipline of rural development, agricultural development, environmental engineering, water resource management or similar;
- At least 5 years of practical professional experience social and environmental management, water resource management (water harvesting), adaptation to climate change, livestock production enhancement, rangeland management, community participation, etc.;
- Distinct experience in social and environmental safeguards and management according to IFC/WB/KfW standards;
- Practical experience in dry land management would be a strong asset;
- Experience as team leader / coordinator / project manager preferably in similar comprehensive long-term project assignments;
- Work experience with donor-funded projects; experience with German Financial Co-operation would be a strong asset;
Regine Reuter firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA