We are one of the leading German consulting companies working in international development cooperation. At GFA Consulting Group, we strive to catalyse change to improve the quality of life of people around the world. We provide consulting services and implement projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Our clients are GIZ, KfW, the European Commission and many others. Since 1982, we have been active in more than 130 countries and continuously expand the scope of our work, which currently includes ten technical business areas and corresponding departments. Our Public Finance Management Department (PFM) is looking for a
Portfolio Manager (m/f/d) - maternity replacement
In the PFM Department, we focus on consultancy services related to Public Finance Policy & Reform, Finance, Accounting, Audit and Procurement and Grant Management.
Within an operational department, a portfolio is a team covering specific areas of acquisition, project management and further development of already existing technical themes, or for the development of new ones. The portfolio managers are the third management level in the GFA. In consultation with the Department Director, he/ she coordinates the portfolio’s human and financial resources for the implementation of the referred activities.
The Portfolio manager will be responsible for the strategic business development, acquisition and the management of our on-going projects and studies in the field of public finance management, with a worldwide general focus, but preferably with experience in Africa and Eastern and South Eastern Europe and with relevant thematic focus on topics including for instance fiscal policy, budget preparation, budget execution, internal control, external audit and grant management.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Coordination and (lateral) management of a team of consultants, junior professionals and administrative coordinators
- In close coordination with the head of department and the other portfolio managers, actively develop and implement strategies and processes for the PFM department
- Carrying and coordinating business development in the assigned regional focus areas and in defined technical focus areas
- Leading the acquisition process for new projects, including coordination and elaboration of technical and financial proposals as well as selection of personnel
- Supervision and quality control of management of on-going projects
- Client and partner management, i.e. maintaining and establishing networks and professional relationships with donor agencies, beneficiaries, partner companies or institutions, subcontractors, individual experts
- Ensuring knowledge management within your team and within the department
- Cooperation in GFA internal technical working groups
Your qualifications and skills:
- University degree (MA) in economics / business administration, public finance, political science or related fields
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the field of development cooperation / humanitarian aid projects funded by international donors.
- Knowledge of and interest in the area of public finance management with a focus on for instance revenue management, budget cycle, internal control, expenditure management, external audit and grant management is an asset
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English. Fluency in French and/or German and knowledge of further languages would be of distinctive advantage
- Familiarity with the German (GIZ, KfW) and/or European development sector and/or a well-founded understanding of the strategies and programmes of the relevant bi- and multilateral donor agencies
- Proven ability to lead and manage intercultural teams
- Willingness to travel abroad
- Strong personal skills in communication, team work, reliability, efficient time management and resilience
- Strong writing, presentation and communication skills; advanced proficiency in standard MS Office applications
What we offer
We work at the heart of International Cooperation and find solutions to global challenges through our projects. Integrated into a team of employees from all over the world and different backgrounds, we lay the foundation for you to grow and learn within GFA through continuous skills development and further training. Our flexible working time model and our family-oriented company policy makes it possible for you to reconcile professional and private life. Even though Hamburg is a vibrant city, GFA offices are surrounded by nature. To get here fast and easy we offer a public transport reimbursement program.
The sense of community at GFA is very important to us. We regularly organize social events for people to get to know each other and to exchange.
The duty station for this position is Hamburg, Germany, with frequent travel abroad.
The period for the maternity replacement is from September 1, 2021 until approximately September 30, 2022 (with the option for permanent employment).
If you are interested, please hand in your complete application in English (cover letter, CV) until July 22, 2021 via email to
Dr. Edda Meinheit
Head of Recruiting Department
GFA Consulting Group GmbH
Tel. 040-60306 120
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA