Senior Consultant (m/f/d) experienced in grid connected solar PV systems for GFA’S HQ
We are one of the leading German consulting companies working in international development cooperation. At GFA Consulting Group, we strive to catalyse change to improve the quality of life of people around the world. We provide consulting services and implement projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Our clients are GIZ, KfW, the European Commission and many others. Since 1982, we have been active in more than 130 countries and continuously expand the scope of our work, which currently includes ten technical business areas and corresponding departments.
In the Energy Department, we offer consultancy services related to sustainable energy with a focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency. Our services include advice on the improvement of policy and institutional frameworks, energy sector studies, development of sustainable energy action plans, capacity building for energy management in private and public sectors, as well as the preparation and management of project pipelines for energy access and energy efficiency measures.
Join our team in the Energy Department in Hamburg as an open-minded and versatile Senior Consultant/Long-term Expert (m/f/d) and contribute to the project Sustainable Energy and Energy Efficiency for Climate Protection (SustainE4Climate) and also contribute to our mission to provide quality services worldwide.
The Sustainable Energy and Energy Efficiency for Climate Protection (SustainE4Climate) - Consulting advice on grid connected renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions for climate protection - in Ghana is oriented towards improving the institutional and regulatory framework conditions for the use of renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions.
By working closely with stakeholders such as experts and executives of the Ministry of Energy, regulatory authorities, electricity utilities; industrial and commercial companies; public institutions; vocational schoolteachers and students; providers of products and services as well as stakeholders in the field of RE/EE, the SustainE4Climate provide technical assistance to strengthens the capacities of public and private actors in the field of RE/EE through technical, organisational and process advice as well as strategic capacity development.
Through the above technical assistance, following overarching outputs are expected to be achieved from the period 10.2022 to 12.2024:
- Output 1 aims to improve key political and regulatory framework conditions at the macro level so that the Ghanaian RE/EE market can develop more quickly.
- Output 2 operates at the meso level and aims to ensure that utilities generate income from RE business models, improve their operational performance and thus the institutional framework for RE is improved (project objective).
- Output 3 aims to strengthen the Energy Service Center (ESC) at the Association of Ghana Industries (AGI) as a service provider to the economy around RE/EE and to achieve an economically self-sustaining structure.
- Output 4 aims to promote RE/EE investments in public buildings.
- advice on and development of improvements of the regulatory framework for renewable energy and energy efficiency (Output 1)
- RE-related business advice to state-owned electricity utilities (Output 2)
- advice regarding service delivery to the Energy Service Centre of the Association of Ghana Industries (Output 3)
- advice to public institutions and other stakeholders on energy efficiency in buildings (Output 4)
- as well as cross-cutting areas such as process management, organisational development of partners (Government), monitoring & evaluation, gender mainstreaming, communication and workshop logistics.
Key Responsibilities for specific project:
- Ensure that international Short Term Experts provide relevant and pertinent up to date knowledge on Renewable Energy (RE) and Energy Efficiency (EE) related concepts, know the latest market developments and political as well as technical implications and are able to transfer them to their advisory work for the SustainE4Climate project in Ghana
- Advise the SustainE4Climate project on up to date concepts, newest technological developments (products, standards, patents) and developments that could possibly be transferred to Ghana
- Maintain a network of contacts and experts in Germany/Europe on RE and EE and recommend international short-term experts to the SustainE4Climate projects upon individual requests
- Know political and regulatory developments on RE/EE and feed them into concept development of SustainE4Climate
- Conduct quality control of products delivered by the STEs (in a content related way that a non-specialised backstopper could not provide)
- In cooperation with the national pool manager ensure the coherence and complementarity of the contractor’s services delivered via STEs with other services delivered by the project at local and national level
Other Responsibilities within the Energy Department:
- Acquisition of new projects, including elaboration and coordination of technical and financial proposals in the field of Energy
- Management of ongoing projects and studies (backstopping) on site and Hamburg-based (financial and technical administration, monitoring and evaluation of projects and studies)
- Networking with donor agencies, beneficiaries, partner companies or institutions, subcontractors and experts
- Conducting fact-finding and technical short-term consultancy missions
- Elaboration of reports, concepts and presentations and contribution to knowledge and quality management
- Active contribution to the further development of the thematic area of green and sustainable finance
- Representing GFA in conferences and seminars
- Supporting on-the-job-training of our Junior Professionals
- University degree (master’s) in Energy Management, electrical engineering or business management
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English is a prerequisite; proficiency in French or Spanish is considered a strong asset
- 15 years of professional experience in the renewable energy and energy efficiency sectors
- 6 years of professional experience in grid connected solar PV systems, related political frameworks and energy efficiency
- 5 years of management/leadership experience as project team leader or manager in a company
- 3 years of professional experience in renewable energy or energy efficiency in Africa
- 10 years of experience working on development cooperation projects
- 4 years of experience in financial project management
- Willingness to travel extensively to the countries of operation
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage complex situations under tight schedules
- Ability to work in intercultural teams
What we offer: We work at the heart of International Cooperation and find solutions to global challenges through our projects. Integrated into a team of employees from all over the world and different backgrounds, we lay the foundation for you to grow and learn within GFA through continuous skills development and further training.
Our flexible working time model and our family-oriented company policy makes it possible for you to reconcile professional and private life. Even though Hamburg is a vibrant city, GFA offices are surrounded by nature. To get here fast and easy we offer a public transport reimbursement program. The sense of community at GFA is very important to us. We regularly organize social events for people to get to know each other and to exchange.
The working time between the position as Long-term expert in the project and Senior Consultant is split in the ratio of ca. 70/30. The location of work can be negotiated but preference is given to candidates willing to work at the GFA Headquarter in Hamburg.
Interested candidates should send their complete application (cover letter, CV, work references / certificates) and salary expectations by email to:
Severine Rix firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA