Team Leader - TVET Expert (2 yrs, Kakuma, Kenya)
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is supporting the Government of Kenya with the project “Promoting Employment and Entrepreneurship in Turkana West”. The project aims at strengthening the socio-economic self-reliance of youth in the refugee community and the host population in Turkana West.
Output 2 (relevant for the tender) aims to improve the access of young people from the refugee community and the host population in Turkana West sub-county to target group-oriented and employment-oriented skills training.
Key activities in Output 2:
- Expansion of holistic qualification offers that prepare young people for (self-employed) employment.
- Development of a train the trainer module to integrate life skills into technical training.
- Support local training providers in introducing higher-level vocational qualification measures.
- Support local training providers in providing needs-based support to encourage young women’s participation.
- Promote inclusive youth activities to strengthen life skills and social cohesion (e.g., competitions, promotion of selected initiatives by youth groups or representatives).
- Overall responsibility for the advisory package of the contractor
- Ensuring the coherence and complementarity of the services of the contractor with other services delivered by the project in Turkana West, close coordination with GIZ staff based in Kakuma and GIZ project management staff in Nairobi
- Design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacity development measures for local partners in the following areas: Output 2 (as described above)
- Personnel management of national experts engaged in implementing Output 2
- Planning and steering assignments and supporting local and international short-term experts
- Staff management, identifying the need for short-term assignments within the available budget, planning and managing the assignments and supporting local and international experts
- Ensuring that monitoring procedures are carried out
- Regular reporting in accordance with deadlines
- Responsibility for controlling the use of funds and financial planning in consultation with GIZ’s officer responsible for the commission
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in updating/ adapting the project strategy, and in evaluations
- Responsible for the implementation of Output 2 in Kakuma
- Consideration of cross-cutting themes (e.g., Do-no-harm) and close coordination of activities (safe-guards)
- Responsibility for implementation of work-packages related to Output 2 (Section 2)
- Education/ training: University qualification (equivalent of Master) in social sciences or economics or business administration or similar, relevant field of studies
- Language: Good business language skills in English (C2) and German (C2) based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- General professional experience: 10 years of professional experience in the Sustainable Economic Development sector
- Specific professional experience: 7 years in technical and vocational education and training (TVET)
- Leadership/management experience: 5 years of management/ leadership experience as project team leader or manager in a company
- Regional experience: 5 years of experience in projects in Sub Saharan Africa (region), of which 2 years in projects in East Africa
- Development Cooperation (DC) experience: 5 years of experience in DC projects
- Other (2.1.8): 4 years of work experience in fragile contexts; 4 years of experience in financial management of substantial local subsidies
Please send your application (email and attached CV) by 21 August to:
Ursula von den Driesch
Ursula von den Driesch firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA