Water Utilities Management Specialist
The EIB funds will be specifically dedicated to the provision of around 340 km of water distribution network, at least 44,000 new water connections, respective metering and water storage where necessary, in the provincial capital cities of Mocamedes (Province of Namibe), Dundo (Province of Lunda Norte) and Luena (Province of Moxico) and strengthening technical and commercial capacity of the respective Provincial Water and Sanitation Utilities (PWSU´s). In addition, the EIB will invest in the installation of at least 3,000 new sewage connections in Moçamedes.
The purpose of this project is to provide assistance to MINEA (Ministry of Energy and Water) in the areas of project implementation regarding procurement, financial management, contract management, project environmental and social management
The Water Utilities Management Specialist will contribute to the supervision of technical assistance structuring activities support to 3 Provincial Water Utilities and will be responsible to:
- Assist Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in diagnosing the specific technical and commercial performance and challenges of involved water utilities, including using internationally recognized tools and benchmark instruments,
- Oversee and follow up the technical assistance contracts to Provincial Water Supply Utilities (PWSU) for operation and management including elaboration of the Terms of References for the technical assistance,
- Support PWSUs in fulfilling the targets set in the Agreements to be signed between the provinces and National Government,
- Organize meetings, prepare agenda and participate in any working group, committee and similar bodies within project,
- When necessary, organize trainings, workshops and other knowledge activities on national and local levels to improve usage of technical assistance or to transfer lessons learnt between provinces
- Follow up closely Monitoring and Evaluation framework and achievement of project’s indicators,
- Analyze issues related to the project raised by Regulatory Body for Electricity and Water and PWSUs and provide guidance to PIU on such issues,
- Review reports of Regulatory Body for Electricity and Water and PWSUs and provide comments,
- Provide PIU in developing and implementing Strategy and Action Plan to embed practices, tools, systems and knowledge gained from the project technical assistance is case if some technical assistance will be carried out on pilot basis.
The Water Utility Management Specialist should have demonstrate international experience in water utility structuring, operation, management and be familiar with Public Private Partnerships (PPP) arrangements in the water supply and sanitation applicable to multilateral financing.
Specifically, the specialist should have:
- Five Year’s University Degree in Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, Law or other related disciplines of similar advanced degree from a recognized University; Master degree in Business/Public Administration, engineering, Institutional Development or other related disciplines;
- At least 15 years of working experience, including 10 years’ experience in water supply and sanitation sector institutional development; documented previous experience in European Investment Bank’s or World Bank’s similar assignments will be a plus;
- At least 8 years of specific experience in operation and management or institutional support to water utilities in developing countries;
- Strong technical background; previous experience in PPP arrangements for water and sanitation utilities and knowledge of commercial management of water utilities would be an advantage;
- Familiarity with water utility benchmarking and rating systems is desirable;
- Excellent organization and computer skills;
- Fluency in English; knowledge of Portuguese will be a plus;
- Work experience in the Sub-Saharan African countries; working experience in Angola will be a plus.
Clement Le Navenec Le-Navenec@gfa-group.de
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA