Energy efficiency and renewables in Kosovo
The overall objective of the project is to create conditions for a secure energy supply and the provision of quality and affordable services for citizens, to enhance sector reforms and attract private investment, to mitigate the impact of energy activities on the environment as well as to move forward Kosovo’s energy system integration in regional and European energy markets. The project works in five components:
- Legal framework upgrade: Transposition of the EU’s Energy Efficiency Directive (2012/27/EU), Energy Labelling Directive (2010/30/EU), Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (2002/91/EC ) in correspondence with Kosovo’s commitments under the Energy Community Treaty, as well as the adoption of the required secondary legislation, by-laws, rule books, and implementation procedures.
- Improve quality of energy data: Surveying energy consumption in the household, transport and service sector, including the development of a methodology for energy data collection and improvement of the quality of data and statistics, and development of monitoring, evaluation and verification mechanisms for reporting on energy efficiency and renewable energy achievements.
- Support on energy efficiency and renewables planning and monitoring:
Creation of a robust and sustainable policy framework at national and local level in order to support the planning process on energy efficiency and renewables and enhance local capacities. At central level, development of the National Energy Efficiency Action Plan (NEEAP) 2019-2027 and reporting on achievements of the target for period 2016-2018, on monitoring, evaluating and verifying the implementation of the plan against national targets. Elaboration of Municipal Energy Efficiency Action Plans (MEEAPs), including specific training measures for energy officers and managers on energy efficiency planning and implementation.
- Financing instruments / Kosovo Energy Efficiency Fund (KEEF): Creation of an Energy Efficiency Fund to support and streamline energy efficiency investments at municipal level.
- Visibility activities: Supporting the communication of Government activities relating to energy efficiency and renewable energy, and contribution to general awareness raising.