Guyana Protected Areas System - phase III
After the GFA supported implementation of GPAS phase I and II since 2005, the third project phase contributes mainly to biodiversity conservation within prioritized ecosystems of Guyana.
Main results of the project encompass:
- Development of ecotourism and protection infrastructure for Kaieteur National Park as well as Shell Beach and Kanuku Mountains Protected Areas;
- provision of equipment for local offices of the Protected Area Commissions;
- consolidation of small grants projects in villages in and around protected areas, including livelihood measurements leading to sustainable natural resource use and improved living conditions of the local population;
- capacity development for protected area agency staff and practitioners of related institutes, focus on enhancing professional development and networking;
- capacity development enabling local people living in and around protected areas to develop and use additional competences.