Integrated water resources management in rural areas
The objective of the project is to ensure the sustainability of drinking water supply systems (DWSS) and irrigated public and small and medium hydraulic perimeters (IPP/SMHP) in rural areas, to improve the living conditions of the population through sustainable management and efficient use of water resources in rural areas. The main goal of the project is to strengthen the autonomy and professionalism of the hydraulic groups managing the DWSS and irrigation systems in rural areas (so-called GDA-GH; Groupements de Développement Agricole - Groupements Hydrauliques). After five years, the project targets the financial and technical accountability of more than 160 GDA-GH located in the five Governorates of Kairouan, Sidi Bouzid, Kasserine, Mahdia and Sfax.
To support the autonomy and professionalization of GDA-GH, a "Good Management Fund (GMF)" should be set up to finance small repairs or system upgrades. To realize the project objective, the technical assistance has to achieve six outputs:
- Rural drinking water supply and small and medium hydraulic systems are upgraded to standards,
- rural drinking water supply and small and medium hydraulic systems are functional and self-managed,
- an institutional environment adequate for the sustainability of these systems is put in place,
- the Good Management Fund (GMF) is set up and operational,
- SMEs are instructed and supported to strengthen the sustainability of these systems, and
- the existing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system is improved and adapted to the needs of the GMF.