Mayors for economic growth
The specific objective of the stream "Mayors for economic growth" (M4EG) is to support local authorities (LA) in the EaP countries to become active facilitators for economic growth and job creation in the region. The project encourages and supports LAs in EaP countries to design and implement Local Economic Development Plans (LEDPs) and strengthens the technical skills and capacities of LAs to implement economic strategies in line with the principles of good governance and sound financial management. The purpose of the project is:
- Develop content-wise the concept of M4EG (including methodology for establishing the baseline, template for LEDPs, indicators, monitoring tools, oversight mechanism, etc.);
- Support the European Commission (EC) and Partner Countries’ (PC) authorities to fine-tune the target definition and process of the M4EG initiative;
- Ensure buying in and ownership of all actors to guarantee the maximum sustainability of M4EG in the region by working with various stakeholders, such as LAs associations, business associations, SMEs, education institutions, etc.;
- Establish synergies with CoM and other major initiatives;
- Raise awareness of and promote the signing up to and implementation of the M4EG;
- Assist the cities in the implementation of their LEDPs, thus leading to sustainable economic growth of the municipalities.