Our approach to technical and vocational education and training (TVET) is firmly rooted in the internationally recognized German dual apprenticeship system. We consider demand-orientation and employer’s involvement to be key success factors for TVET development, irrespective of underlying system foundations. We support our partners in developing TVET concepts appropriate to their needs and local conditions, always building on internationally proven practices in competency-based training (CBT). Beyond formal TVET systems, we also support skills development in the informal sector as well as non-formal further and adult education systems. Our services in the field of TVET & skills development include:
- Quality assurance systems and qualification frameworks, including modern as-sessment and certification systems – e.g. the introduction of a new assessment sys-tem in TVET schools in Afghanistan or “recognition of prior learning” (RPL) concepts in Ghana
- Creation of structural linkages between the labor market and training systems – for instance, GFA supported the establishment of regional VET boards in Mongolia and sector-wide enterprise-training partnerships in Egypt
- Development of demand-oriented occupational standards and curricula, using proven methods such as DACUM and functional analysis – we have developed and implemented competency-based standards and curricula for a variety of trades worldwide, most recently in Pakistan, Ghana, Mongolia, Afghanistan, Egypt and Nigeria
- Promotion of modern instructional pedagogy and professional development pro-grams for teachers, instructors and workplace trainers – including e.g. the devel-opment and piloting of a pre-service B.Ed. in Technical Education in Pakistan or the qualification of workplace instructors based on the German workplace trainer qualification
- Support to traditional apprenticeships and training in the informal sector – comprising for example the introduction of a cooperative apprenticeship training for informal sector trainees in Ghana
- Further professional training and adult education schemes – e.g. disseminating employment-oriented further training measures for rural target groups via mobile training units in Morocco
GFA’s track record covers all traditional TVET sectors from manufacturing, construction to service trades, as well as new trades such as in the media and IT sector. Building on GFA’s expertise in agriculture, climate and natural resource management, agricultural and green skills development is a particular focus of our work. For example, in Timor Leste and Nigeria we have induced modern teaching methods and curricula combining both tech-nical and entrepreneurial capacities for future farmers. Our expertise further includes curriculum development and training in the renewable energy field, e.g. for solar power, micro-hydro power or biogas technicians.
Technical and Vocational Education and Training “Made in Germany“
Three Hamburg institutions with a special profile in vocational training join forces in TVET HAMBURG, with the purpose of providing their experience in organisation and implementation of dual vocational training to international players: the Hamburg Institute for Vocational Education and Training (HIBB), the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce (HK) and GFA Consulting Group GmbH (GFA). TVET HAMBURG offers seminars and study-tours covering basics of TVET in Hamburg as well as qualification of TVET personnel, curriculum development, development of TVET systems and certification and assessment procedures worldwide.